The burger has a special place in my heart. It’s a portable, utensil-less package of goodness that deserves no less than the utmost respect. This mushroom burger does the burger justice. Juicy, flavourful, and downright tasty – it’ll give the one dollar burger deals a run for its money! It also trots a little lighter on the environment. Makes two burgers.
2 portobello mushroom caps (washed)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons dhana jeeru*
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons chilli powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon of salt
*You can find dhana jeeru at East Indian grocery stores, or you can use 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon ground coriander.
1. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade and mix well.
2. Place the mushrooms a shallow baking dish cap side down. Pour the marinade over the mushrooms, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes or longer for better flavour.
3. Turn on the oven broiler or get the BBQ ready.
4. Broil for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until the mushrooms are juicy and tender.
5. Serve on a nice crusty bun with your choice of fixins’.