The French are known for doing freakishly delicious things with their fruit. Take for example, clafoutis, a tasty flan-like cake filled with the season’s best fruit. An easy, fancy pants dessert that you can whip up in no time.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar (1 tablespoon to dust the baking dish)
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk (I used light coconut milk)
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 3 free range, organic eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 cups of your favourite fruit (thinly sliced apples, pears, mangoes or berries work great – just go with the seasons!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch pie or tart dish with the margarine and dust the entire surface with sugar, add more if you need it. Give the dish a tap to get rid of the excess sugar.
- In a blender or large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients except the margarine and fruit and blend or stir vigorously until the batter comes together. It should be thoroughly mixed with no lumps.
- 4. Pour half the batter into the pan. Gently top it with fruit (in a fan shape if you want to get all fancy like) and slowly pour the rest of the batter on top. Make sure you cover all of the fruit.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges are nicely golden-brown).
- Best served warm. Before serving, top it off with powdered sugar and go à la mode for a well rounded dessert.