Nothing beats a good burger – it’s like a golden package of hand held deliciousness. This black bean burger recipe is easy, hearty and satisfying; it just so happens to be meat-free! What really makes this burger is the fresh and spicy chipotle mayo. It’s good on anything from sweet potatoes fries to your Grandma’s apple pie (maybe). Omit the egg and put in a bit of flour as a binder in the burger and use non-egg based mayo to make this recipe completely vegan.
• 1 (14-16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed*
• 1/2 red bell pepper
• 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1-2 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce or hot sauce
• 3/4 cup bread crumbs
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise / Veganaise
• 2-3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
• 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime / lemon juice
• 1 clove of garlic
Buns and burger fixings.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until it forms a thick paste (but some lumpiness adds texture).
3. In a food processor, add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic and pulse until finely chopped. Stir into mashed beans.
4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, salt, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
6. Place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
7. For chipotle mayo: In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, chipotle chilies, and adobo sauce. Pulse until smooth and well blended.