If you don’t eat dairy for whatever reason, because you’re vegan, lactose intolerant, or just trying to cut down on animal products, chances are that you’ve forayed into the world of non-dairy cheeses. You’ll know that not all non-dairy, vegan cheeses are made the same – they melt differently than dairy cheese, often have… unique textures, and more importantly, they vary in taste. For me, the ultimate test of a good alternative to conventional cheese is none other than the grilled cheese sandwich – a classic comfort food (especially if you’re in college).
I think the best non-dairy cheese on the market is currently made by Daiya, Deliciously Non-Dairy Cheese. Why? It makes a dern good grilled cheese sandwich and doesn’t taste like I just licked a orangutan’s foot.
Here are my steps for a perfect grilled cheese sandwich (great for Daiya cheeses, but also works for your regular shredded cheddar too):
1) Butter both sides of two pieces of nice bread. I like to use Earth Balance.
2) Heat the pan to medium-high heat before putting in the sandwiches.
3) Add your sandwich and turn down the heat to medium.
4) Put a lid over your sandwich, this is trap the heat and guarantee melted cheese-y goodness.
5) Grilled on each side until golden brown (about 3-4 minutes per side).
And what’s a grilled cheese sandwich without tomato soup?